Sunday, February 26, 2017

Do the Media Challenge the Powerful?

     I think that our media challenges those in power all the time.  I have seen networks like CNN and MSNBC consistently challenging then candidate, now President, Trump and I have seen Fox News consistently challenge President Obama.  I can see the bias of these networks clearly; CNN and MSNBC lean left, while Fox News leans right.  So, our decision as consumers of this media becomes: what opinion do we want to hear when we turn on the news?  I do think that our media challenges our political leaders, but because certain news networks lean to different political views, you must watch a variety of networks to hear tough questions being asked about, and to, political leaders of different political parties.
     I was able to find a lot of examples of various networks challenging our political leaders.  Most of the examples I found were predictable based on the networks that they were on; many Fox News stories challenge Democrats and their policies and many MSNBC and CNN stories challenge Republicans and their policies. However, there were still some clips that surprised me.  One of these clips is from a show on MSNBC challenging the hypocrisy of Hillary Clinton and various news papers after the election, and the other is on a Fox News show that challenges then Candidate Trump's call for a "Muslim ban".   I provided the links to these two clips as well as a few more "predictable", in my opinion, clips of the media challenging those in political power.
     As to the discussion of fake news, I think that this has become a larger issue recently because the Internet and social media have become a part of most -if not all- people's lives in a huge way.  Anyone from anywhere can put their opinions into the public domain, which means that they can also put out lies. We are over saturated with information, and it can be overwhelming to take on the task of sifting through the truth, the lies, and the bias that can make the truth blurry.  I think that we have always needed to filter the information that we take in from our various media sources, but it is essential in today's climate of constant information dumping to read between the lines with anything that you see or hear.  This is frustrating, because I think that we all want to live in a world where the truth ultimately comes to the surface, but this is not always a reality.  We are responsible for being critical thinkers when it comes to our news and media, even though it may be difficult at times.

These clips surprised me:

Fox News: Bill O’Reilly discussing then candidate Trump's call for a "Muslim ban":

MSNBC Morning Joe: Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski discussing the hypocrisy of Hillary Clinton and some news papers concerning the election results:


These clips were more predictable in my opinion:

CNN reporter Jim Acosta asks Trump about WikiLeaks and Russia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2eTo1et6VI

Fox News: Megyn Kelly discussing President Obama's silence about Kate Steinle's murder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6TF-a0AJo

MSNBC: Rachel Maddow discussing then President Elect Trump's policy and comments with Kellyanne Conway (begins approximately five minutes into the video clip):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4HxrVJvAGc



1 comment:

  1. Hey Haley, reading your blog post really got me thinking. When I wrote my post, I wrote that the media is not challenging the politicians and are more money driven to where they will coincide with their owners' points of view. However, after reading your post, I realize that I was not taking into consideration the different news sources. As you mentioned, the left sources will challenge president Trump, while the right sources will coincide with him. I also believe that in order to get the full story of what is going on in the country we have to go to multiple news sources. I feel as if we must really look into the issues at hand and piece together the different news sources in order to find out the true news.

    ReplyDelete